Sep 2, 2014

Innis & Gunn Toasted Oak IPA


I received a sample of Innis & Gunn Toasted Oak IPA and I finally opened it the other night. I'm a fan of their original oaked aged beer so I was curious how they would brew an IPA style. 

The description on the bottle details how hops are added three times during brewing, with each layer creating zesty flavors and aromas. I agree with the zesty part but I did not find it overly hoppy at all. Pours a copper with a very thin off-white head. Smells of slightly sweet malts and buttery, wooden vanilla notes. Medium body with average carbonation making it easy to drink. The finish is dry and slightly harsh with spice, which is where the zesty flavors appear. 

This was not my favorite only because I was expected to drink a hoppy IPA. Instead it is more of an English ale with toffee and some oak notes with light hops.

Have you ever opened a beer and it was not what you expected? Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment