Sep 8, 2014

Margaritas, Albarino & Mexican Fare

Mike and I with our drinks waiting for our meal.
Brittany and Cedric enjoying dinner.


My scrumptious shrimp tacos.

Over the weekend I traveled to Newburyport to have drinks and dinner with friends. We were deciding between pizza and Mexican food, and boy I was happy we went with a restaurant called Agave Mexican Bistro. I decor was modern yet quaint and the atmosphere was perfect for dinning with a group of friends. I highly suggest starting with the homemade guacamole and their warm, salted chips.

Brittany ordered a margarita composed of Sauza Gold Tequila, Blue Curacao, Chambord and their own house margarita mix. It had an interesting color to it but I had a sip and it was delicious! If you like tequila, Agave is the place for you with its extensive list.  I had to work the next morning, so I stayed away from the tequila and stuck to vino. I anticipated ordering a spicy meal so I selected a glass of the Burgans Albarino. 

I do not have much experience with the Albarino grape, but I knew its slightly sweet nature would go well with blackened shrimp tacos served with a homemade habenero mayonnaise sauce. It poured a pale yellow in my glass and I could immediately notice tropical aromas. Upon tasting there were notes of peach, citrus and apricot on the palate. The body is light with a dry, lively finish. The Albarino's sweetness complimented the spiciness of the habenero mayonnaise sauce perfectly by cooling down the heat. 

Albarino is a small, green, thick-skinned grape, which is resistant to the mildew that grows in the damp climate of Rias Baixas. This grape accounts for 90% of all plantings in this region of Spain. Rias Baixas is considered the birthplace for Albarino, but it can also be found in the Vinho Verde region of Portugal as well as in Australia. The flavor profile is so unique that it is often compared to Riesling, Pinot Gris and Viognier. Another way Albarinos are special is because it is one of the few Spanish white wine grapes that is produced as its own varietal. 

Next time you are at a Mexican restaurant I challenge you to try an Albarino as an alternative to a tequila drink. Have a great day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment