Sep 16, 2014

Turkey Meatloaf and St. Supery Cabernet Sauvignon





Happy Tuesday everyone! The other night my roommate made a delicious meal for myself and her family that I must share. She made us a turkey meatloaf, roasted potatoes and a caesar salad all from scratch...she is brilliant in the kitchen!  

We paired it with St. Supery's 2011 Napa Valley Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, which as you might be able to tell by now is one of my favorite wineries. The 2011 vintage did bring some vegetable notes to the palate, but it did not overpower the overall flavor. The 2011 is a blend of 77% Cabernet Sauvignon with 11% Merlot and polished off with a small amount of Malbec, Cabernet Franc and Petite Verdot. The winemaker ages it in 100% French oak for twenty months with over 50% of the barrels being new. 

The blend characteristics of this wine plus it's lower alcohol content (13.5%) are the main reasons I picked it to compliment the turkey meatloaf. I did not want too bold of a Cabernet, which would overpower the wonderful flavors in the meatloaf. After poured, aromas of plum, cherry and dirt, earthly undertones are expressed. The body is light with the tannins leaving a velvety finish.

Another great choice for a meatloaf dish would be a Zinfandel that has some spice to it. On a side note, I was very excited to use my new C. Wonder dinner plates! They are meant for the summer season, but I like how they brighten up the dinner table for the early fall (plus they were on sale!). 

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment