Sep 26, 2014

Karner Blue Gin

Entrance to The Cave

Prohibition-era decor


Last weekend I traveled up north to Bretton Woods, New Hampshire for a weekend away with friends. We took advantage of the nice weather and the foliage during the day and at night we checked out The Cave. Located in the Mount Washington Resort this bar had a prohibition-era speakeasy vibe complete with a live band. It was a great way to enjoy hand- crafted drink specials and relax with my friends. 

My best friend recommended I try the flagship gin of New Hamphire's only in-state distillery at Flag Hill Winery in Lee. As a gin lover I am always interested in trying new brands, especially local ones. It is named Karner Blue after the state butterfly of New Hamphire, which is represented on the bottle.

After tasting my Karner Blue and tonic I could tell this gin was a different style than my usual Tanqueray. The nose had a rich floral smell giving it a sweet character. Yet the taste comes across sharp at first with a heavy dose of juniper followed by some pepper notes. The finish is smooth and lingers long after my first sip. 

I also learned that Karner Blue is made with apples as the base instead of grain. The locally grown apples combined with juniper, citrus, orris root and cubab berries gives Karner Blue an unique flavor profile different from most other gins. As of now it is only sold in New Hampshire, so if you are ever in the "Live Free or Die" state make sure to pick up a bottle!

My Karner Blue Gin & Tonic

Two of my friends enjoying their drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment