Oct 1, 2014

Heavy Seas The Greater Pumpkin


Today marks the start of October and all things Halloween, which in the alcohol industry means pumpkin beer. Though a majority of it has been out on the market since middle August, we have finally entered the month to truly enjoy a pumpkin brew. 

First up on my list to try is Heavy Seas Uncharted Waters: The Greater Pumpkin. I'm a big fan of this brewery and have their Loose Cannon IPA as a favorite in my rotation. The Greater Pumpkin comes in a 22 ounce bomber and only a small quantity was produced. It's an imperial ale aged in Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels. 

Served out of the bottle it pours a rich amber color with a small white head. Just from the aromas alone I could tell this pumpkin beer meant business. The first thing I noticed was the whiskey presence from the bourbon barrel. Aroma also consisted of notes of vanilla, oak, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. The bourbon whiskey notes hit my palate immediately with a hint of vanilla and cloves. With a full malt body, flavors of vanilla, apricot and pumpkin spice add a slight sweetness. 

The finish is boozy and in your face, in a good way, as a result of the 10% ABV. The bourbon whiskey notes linger nicely, which is what I think sets this beer apart from others. I have not tasted this year's Southern Tier's Pumping yet, but as of now Heavy Sea's version of an imperial pumpkin ale might earn the top spot. 

What pumpkin beers have you tried so far this season? Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment