Oct 24, 2014

Cheeseburger Pie & 2002 J Vineyard Vintage Brut





Last night I made one of my mom's unique recipes called Cheeseburger Pie. It is the perfect meal to make when the weather is dreary and you are in need of some quick and easy comfort food! These are the ingredients you need from the grocery store: 

1 pound of extra lean ground beef 
1 large onion chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 cup of shredded reduce fat cheddar cheese 
1/2  cup reduced fat Bisquick mix (I only had the regular kind) 
1 cup skim milk 
2 eggs 



The first step is to brown the beef with your chopped onion. Stir in salt. Then drain it and place the beef in a 9" greased pie pan. Sprinkle evenly a cup of cheddar cheese on top of the ground beef. Set it aside while you make the second part of your recipe. 



In a bowl mix together the Bisquick, eggs and milk. Pour the mixture evenly on top of the beef and cheese.

Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. 


Voila! The finished product with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans on the side. 


It was my roommate's first day at her new job so we celebrated with a bottle of 2002 J Vineyards Vintage Brut. I have enjoyed J Vineyards Pinot Gris before but this was my first champagne experience from their brand. This sparkling wine consists of 49% Chardonnay, 49% Pinot Noir and 2% Pinot Meunier. 

On the nose there is a fusion of different sweet aromas. While looking at the delicate bubbles in my champagne flute, I picked up melon, nectarine and pear notes with some citrus zest. These alluring aromas led to a creamy vanilla and toasted chestnut flavor on my palate. The finish is long and balances the nutty and fruity characteristics together perfectly. 

I am a firm believer that bubbles can be a great match for just about any food-wine pairing. In this case, the sparkling wine compliments the cheeseburger by lightening up a heavier dish. However, if I was not celebrating I most likely would have chosen a Zinfandel to pair with my cheeseburger pie. A great Zinfandel for the money to try is Plungerhead Zinfandel! 

Have a great weekend! 



No comments:

Post a Comment