Oct 17, 2014

Barcelona Wine Bar


A warm spell has been cast over Boston this week and it seems everyone is taking advantage. I certainly did the other night by enjoying dinner outside with friends in Brookline. I caught up with Emily and Michelle, my sorority sisters from JMU, over wine and tapas at Barcelona Wine Bar.


Since Barcelona is a tapas style restaurant, we ordered a bunch of small plates to share. Everything looked delicious, but we narrowed it down to mushrooms and herbed goat cheese in a balsamic reduction, grilled hanger steak with a black truffle vinaigrette, squash and mussels in a marinara sauce. I will definitely be going back to try more of their delicious options in the future! 


For vino, I ordered a glass of the 2012 Familia Schroeder Saurus Patagonia Select Pinot Noir. I have been on a Pinot Noir kick lately as I transition out of my usual Sauvignon Blanc drink to more reds for the colder weather. I usually gravitate towards California Pinots,but given we were at a Spanish style restaurant I went with one from Argentina. 

Red fruit notes on the nose, particularly ripe cherry. Full bodied for a Pinot Noir with sweet tannins and a round finish. Also some mocha notes on the finish from the French and American oak aging. I detected some heat after my first couple sips and suspected a higher alcohol content. The alcohol content varies, but usually Pinot Noir stays within the 13% range. Saurus Patagonia Select is 14.5% alcohol, which is unusually high for the cool climate of Patagonia. 

Overall I enjoyed my wine selection with our tapas and of course loved catching up with my friends! 

Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment