Aug 6, 2014

Winery Wednesday: Joel Gott


I just returned home from a trip to visit my best friends from college so I apologize for the delay in posts. Stay tuned tomorrow for details and wine reviews from my North Carolina trip!

For this week's Wine Wednesday I am featuring one of my favorite wineries: Joel Gott. Ever since I turned the legal age to drink I fell in love with their Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc. Today their portfolio has expanded from the first production of Amador County Zinfandel to eleven unique wine offerings.

Joel & Sarah Gott
With experience in the wine industry, Joel Gott noticed a void in the marketplace for quality, value wines. He took it upon himself to fill the void by producing his first vintage of Dillian Ranch Amador County Zinfandel in 1996. Joel enlisted help from his girlfriend (now wife) Sarah, whose background included the title of winemaker for Joesph Phelps. High ratings and praise followed Joel Gott after their first vintage and success for the winery still continues today.

A fun fact that I always enjoy telling my customers is how the name of their California 815 Cabernet Sauvignon was created. In 2003, "815" was added to the label to celebrate the birth of Joel and Sarah's first daughter on August 15th. Now you can impress your friends with a little wine trivia! 

By sourcing grapes from small lots of selected vineyard sites in California, Oregon and Washington, Gott's winemaking team is allowed creative freedom when blending all of the wines. The end result is complex, quality wines with an affordable price tag.

This past Spring my friends and I attended the Boston Wine Expo where Joel Gott wines were front and center. When I made my way to their table, I sampled through their tasting line up and found my new favorite in the portfolio. 

It was their newest edition the 2012 California Pinot Noir. On the nose there was this aromatic vanilla spice with ripe strawberries. When tasting there was well-balanced acidity with a rich yet light body. It had a smooth, long finish with some vanilla oak. When transitioning from Summer to Fall wines, Joel Gott Pinot Noir will be on my must drink list!  

Boston Wine Expo 2014






No comments:

Post a Comment